IT Systems Engineer
- Strong technology background and business acumen to manage relationships between the Corporate business and IT department in day-to-day operations
- Experience in leading, training and coaching a team of more than 3 developers
MANOBI AFRICA develops, operates and delivers a range of business services from its proprietary digital platform, mainly in African countries and in the areas of agriculture, access to drinking water and sanitation, artisanal fishing, and services to local communities, developing economic inclusion and social development for vulnerable populations.
To achieve this, Manobi combines the use of the most advanced technologies in mobile and web development, connected objects and satellite imagery, with innovative service distribution channels and disruptive business models to optimize interactions between all operators in a value chain.
Manobi AFRICA is looking for an IT Systems Engineer willing to share its vision by participating in the development of its solutions and having the ambition to become a champion in its field of expertise.
About the role
The IT Systems Engineer requires a combination of a strong technology background and business acumen to manage relationships between the Corporate business and IT in day-to-day operations and delivery of IT services through Manobi Africa’s platforms.
The IT Systems Engineer is responsible for providing leadership, knowledge and oversight to the IT Developer team, ensuring team alignment to best practices and business strategy and can lead the team in planning, management and Project delivery of new functionality and releases.
The IT Systems Engineer must possess a broad, deep, functional knowledge of Manobi Africa’s platforms, and must have the capability to architect solutions for complex business problems within a major studio. The IT Systems Engineer will also need to demonstrate an understanding of the business users represented and will have the ability to describe user requirements to enable system administrators and IT development team to estimate relative effort and prioritize demand to deliver business functionality.
The IT Systems Engineer is actively involved in the overarching platform governance and is responsible to put forward platform recommendations which are in alignment with ITIL best practices and Manobi Africa’s business structure.
The ideal candidate will be well versed in Project Management (Scrum) and will hold Scrum Master and ITIL v4 certification.
- Primary liaison between IT and the business defining IT demand and delivering technology to enable and meet business strategy and support day-to-day operations.
- Build relationships as a trusted business partner with key business executives and be focal point for delivery of IT services.
- Owning approved business driven IT programs & projects and management of their respective business cases, ensuring that they deliver business value. Monitoring, and reviewing all project and program economics including costs, operational budgets, staffing requirements, resources, and risks.
- Initiating and facilitating communications between IT department and Directional board, acting as a primary point of contact
- Facilitating open communication and discussion between IT department and Directional board. Captures and disseminates technical and business information.
- Leveraging the enterprise’s IT organization, infrastructure and technology capabilities to deliver business results
- Managing a team of project managers, business analysts, technical resources comprised of employees and service providers to drive and own the delivery of business requirements
- Managing demand for applications work and prioritizing requests for application enhancements and new development across the business portfolio supported
- Ensure that all demand from the business enters IT pipeline appropriately and reporting status on that demand back to business constituents
- Is actively involved in understanding Products to drive value and efficiencies from new/unused functionality
- To support Information Security services in Manobi Africa.
- Organizes, plans, assigns, and monitors completion of services and measures based on delivery and financial success.
- Establishes project timelines and ensures team resources complete projects on schedule
- Assists in the development of the budget and develops financial forecasts for Manobi Africa businesses.
- Creates an environment that encourages information sharing, team-based resolutions, cross-training, and process improvement.
- Solid understanding of the day-to-day execution of business processes and related IT tasks
- Knowledge of project and program management fundamentals
- Familiar with the ITIL Framework and demand processes across the IT organization
- Knowledge of enterprise IT Strategy, ITIL, IT Best Practice and Change Delivery
- Strong understanding of multiple software delivery life cycle methodologies
- Strong business domain knowledge and business acumen
- 3+ years experience in managing leadership level business
- Proven history of IT management in either application support management or project management,
- 3+years of experience managing technology teams
- Proven skills in project management and project management oversight :
- Organize and lead the production of all collateral required to initiate a project (including vision document, business case/cost benefit analysis, high level requirements specifications, and other elaboration phase outputs). Assess/recommend skills and resources needed to successfully complete the project(s) and achieve the business and IT goals
- Organize the project team (people needed in the business and IT organizations, as well as third parties). Ensure all policies for on boarding new resources and vendors are followed. Create or supervise the creation of the project schedule, ensuring that it conforms to the System Development Lifecycle as appropriate.
- Maintain the project tracking and reporting requirements, and status reporting. Ensure that company controls are observed and applied to all projects under management. Ensure that a communications strategy and risk mitigation plan has been created and signed off by project stakeholders, and is being followed. Establish and maintain clear escalation procedures so that problems and issues encountered are addressed in a timely manner.
- Manage the project through all the phases and milestones from requirements gathering to post-implementation reviews. The project manager is responsible for ensuring that the necessary resources/skills are available as the project(s) go through the various phases of a software development life-cycle.
- Strategic Planning – Participate in business and IT strategic planning; define IT needs of business units; help develop IT strategy and funding plans in alignment with business needs; promote innovative thinking and utilization of IT resources in the business. Understand the workings and strategy of the business as well as current market trends. Understand the strategy and direction of IT department.
- Demand Management– Represents the overall technology solution portfolio for a given business area. Oversees the quality and delivery of IT services in support of business expansion and business operations. Prioritizes requests and secures stakeholder support and funding. Accountable for defining and initiation of projects through green lighting.
- Client Relationship Management– Manages client expectations; resolve client satisfaction issues; train and educate client on the use of technology; ensure business unit is receiving appropriate and adequate levels of IT services; offer alternate solutions to client problems (e.g. process changes); communicate IT goals, activities and accomplishments to the business.
- Leadership, Staff Development and Financial Management– Provide direction and coaching to the IT staff. Develop the staff to understand the business as well as the technology. Develop and manage department and project budgets.
- Delivery Oversight– Initiates and provides oversight for application development projects that are delivered on time, within budget and containing the agreed upon functionality. Works closely & collaboratively Directional Board to seamlessly insure high quality IT service delivery. Supports the proper implementation of appropriate compliance, security and controls as defined by SPE policy and governance.
The position is available on a fixed term consultancy contract based on demonstrated performance.
The company is open to remote work position if the minimum requirements are met.
The place of assignment is in Dakar with missions to clients and partners.
Send your CV and cover letter to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line
“IT Systems Engineer – Manobi Africa”
The position will remain open for applications until it is filled.
Manobi Africa is an equal opportunities employer and is particularly interested in increasing the participation of women in its workforce.
Share this post on